Wednesday, March 31, 2010

KNACK


In December I was in a show called KNACK. This exhibition featured Art Education Master's students and was showcased at the University of Tennessee. I displayed some of my pottery as well as encaustics. For those of you who do not know what encaustic means, it is simply painting with wax. It is a new technique I have picked up recently. I do not consider myself a painter, but encaustics has sparked my interest in two-dimensional art. I see it almost as relief sculpture rather than painting. For more information about encaustics check out these sites:

http://www.mollycliffhilts.com/encaustic-technique.php

and Here.

Here is the pottery that I showed. All pottery is low-fired earthenware, cone 04 glazes, with decals from photographs or drawings I created.





Here are the encaustic pieces I had mentioned. A couple were in the show and the constellation piece was a present for my father.






I also took a workshop in November on cold-metal jewelry techniques. I not into making jewelry (I will let my good friend, Jess Worthington take care of that medium), but I did enjoy the class. Here are a couple pieces I made.


These were based on constellations as well.

No comments: