Saturday, July 11, 2009

Pottery, to be or not to be






I have never fancied myself a potter.  I have always gravitated to more sculptural work.  Last fall I took a throwing class.  I had not thrown on the wheel since I was in middle school.  It is a skill that must be practice, practice a lot to perfect.  Unfortunately (in my opinion) there is a trend in art that emphasizes concept over technique.  I am not opposed to concept, but too frequently, "artists" do not learn the technical skills well enough to successfully convey their ideas.  Technical processes are merely tools to convey a concept.  It takes time to develop a skill and I have this idea that because of our increasingly fast-paced and fractured society, many persons do not want to take the time to learn a skill or trade.

So I took a throwing class.  Recently I was fortunate enough to come across a wonderful deal on a potter's wheel.  It is a Brent CXC.  I want to focus more on pottery over the next year.  This is my goal.  I never really thought that I would enjoy pottery as much as sculpture.  I didn't want to lose my voice.  What I'm realizing is that I can combine pottery and my interests to make more interesting pieces.  I also have satisfaction in opening the cupboard, seeing a bowl I made, and using it.  Functionality isn't always a bad thing, as many artists believe.

I really want to throw that "perfect" vessel, even, thin walls with a nice foot.  It is a goal of mine.  I know that I can, I just need to practice more.  The wheel is currently at the school that I work at.  I am going to make it my goal to throw 2 vessels everyday I work at the school.


2 comments:

daphne said...

Hi Sara! Love the blog. I will check in on you periodically. I can totally appreciate what you are saying about contemporary art stressing concept over technique. It's been like that for a good long time now. Some of us need to find the balance in our work to be satisfied with the end result. I'm right there with you! xod

Stephen said...

I commend your effort to unite concept and function. The elevation of trite ideas over excellence in execution is one of the saddest consequences of post modern art. You are trying to move past that. Good.